Established in the 1790s, it was Harrow's first “large” Boarding House but, today, is the smallest, despite several extensions to the building.
He arrived at Harrow in September 2014 to teach Biology and is currently the Assistant House Master in The Park.
Bradbys is situated on the High Street, about one minute's walk south of Old Schools, the original School building. Keary and is named after former House Master Edward Henry Bradby, a classicist and, later, Master of Haileybury.
Following closure during World War II, while it was occupied by Malvern College, Bradbys reopened as a Harrow House in 1946.
Alastair is married to Anna, who is a professional cellist and teaches at Harrow and other London schools. In 1094, Archbishop Anselm consecrated St Mary’s Church on the highest point of the Hill; a Rectory was built soon afterwards on the site of what is now The Grove, serving as the demesne manor house of successive Archbishops of Canterbury. Batten bought the Rectory manor and called it ‘The Grove’, establishing it as a Boarding House. Bowen (a founding member of the Football Association) became House Master.
Between 17, Richard Brinsley Sheridan, the playwright and politician, occupied the house together with his wife, the celebrated Miss Linley. In 1833, the House burnt down (only the front façade and some of the cellars remained) and was rebuilt in 1836. In 1900, he bought The Grove from the Batten family, bequeathing it to the School Governors when he died.